30. Kasey C, Zerrad M, Li Y, Cropp TA, Williams GJ. “Development of Transcription Factor-Based Designer Macrolide Biosensors for Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic Biology“. ACS Synth Biol, 2017, 10.1021/acssynbio.7b00287.
29. Nazari M, Malico A, Ekelof M, Lund S, Williams GJ, Muddiman, D. “Direct Analysis of Terpenes from Biological Buffer Systems using SESI and IR-MALDESI“. Anal Bioanal Chem, 2017, DOI:10.1007/s00216-017-0570-9.
28. Musiol-Kroll EM, Zubeil F, Schafhauser T, Härtner T, Kulik A, McArthur JB, Koryakina I, Wohlleben W, Grond S, Williams GJ, Lee SY, and Weber T. “Polyketide bio-derivatization using the promiscuous acyltransferase KirCII“. ACS Synth Biol, 2017, 6, 421.
27. Koryakina I, Kasey C, McArthur JB, Lowell AN, Chemler JA, Li S, Hansen DA, Sherman DH, and WilliamS GJ. “Inversion of Extender Unit Selectivity in the Erythromycin Polyketide Synthase by Acyltransferase Domain Engineering“. ACS Chem Biol, 2017, 12, 114.
Highlighted in Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News
Highlighted in CEP Magazine, An American Institute of Chemical Engineers publication
NC State News Press Release
26. Ladner C, Williams GJ. “Harnessing natural product assembly lines: structure, promiscuity, and engineering“. J Ind Microbial Biotechnol, 2016, 43, 371.
25. Ye Z, Williams GJ. “Mapping a ketosynthase:acyl carrier protein binding interface via unnatural amino acid-mediated photocrosslinking“. Biochemistry, 2015, 53, 7494.
24. Randall S, Koryakina I, Williams GJ, Muddiman DC. “Evaluating nonpolar surface area and LC-MS response: an application for site occupancy measurements for enzyme intermediates in polyketide biosynthesis”, Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom, 2014, 28, 2511.
23. Walsh S, Gardner L, Deiters A, Williams GJ. “Intracellular light-activation of riboswitch activity“. ChemBioChem, 2014, 15, 1346.
22. Ye Z, Musiol EM, Weber T, Williams GJ. “Reprogramming acyl carrier protein interactions of an extender unit promiscuous trans-acyltransferase“. Chem Biol, 2014, 21, 636.
21. Williams GJ. “Engineering polyketide synthases and non-ribosomal peptide synthetases”. Curr Opin Struct Biol, 2013, 23, 603. pdf
20. Koryakina I, McArthur JB, Draelos, M, Randall S, Muddiman D, Williams GJ. “Reprogramming the biosynthesis of natural products by directed evolution”. Developments in Biotechnology and Bioprocessing, 2013, 9, 147-63.
19. Koryakina I, McArthur JB, Draelos MD, Williams GJ. “Promiscuity of a Modular Polyketide Synthase Towards Natural and Non-Natural Extender Units”. Org Biomol Chem, 2013, 11, 4449-4458. pdf
18. Koryakina I, McArthur J, Randall S, Draelos MM, Musiol EM, Muddiman DC, Weber T, Williams GJ. “Poly specific trans-acyltransferase machinery revealed via engineered acyl-CoA synthetases”. ACS Chem Biol, 2013; 8, 200-208.
17. McArthur J, & Williams GJ. “Engineering Glycosyltransferases”. In The Protein Engineering Handbook, Ed. Stefan Lutz, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2012, Vol 3, 303-326.
16. Ye Z, Desai H, Bair M, Williams GJ. “A novel photocrosslinking assay for reporting protein interactions in polyketide and fatty acid synthases”. Mol BioSys, 2011, 7, 3152-3156. pdf
15. Koryakina I, Williams GJ. “Mutant malonyl-CoA synthetases for polyketide extender unit generation”. ChemBioChem, 2011, 12, 2289-2293. pdf
14. Parajuli N, Williams GJ. “A high-throughput screen for directed evolution of aminocoumarin amide synthetases”. Anal Biochem, 2011; 419: 61-66. pdf
13. Koryakina I, Neville J, Nonaka K, van Lanen S, Williams GJ. “A high-throughput screen for directed evolution of the natural product sulfotransferase LipB”. J Biomol Screening, 2011; 16: 845-851. pdf
Postdoctoral and graduate:
12. Williams GJ, Yang J, Zhang C, Thorson JS. “Recombinant E. coli prototype strains for in vivo glycorandomization”. ACS Chem Biol, 2011, 6, 95-100.
11. Williams GJ, Gantt RW, Thorson JS. (2008) “The impact of enzyme engineering upon natural product glycodiversification”. Curr Opin Chem Biol, 12, 556-564.
10. Gantt RW, Goff RD, Williams GJ, Thorson JS. “Probing the aglycone promiscuity of an engineered glycosyltransferase”. Angew Chemie Int Ed, 2008, 47, 8889-8892.
9. Williams GJ, Zhang C, Goff R, Thorson JS. “Optimization of a natural product glycosyltransferase for glycorandomization of novobiocin”. Chem Biol, 2008, 15, 393-401.
8. Williams GJ, Thorson JS. “A high-throughput fluorescence-based glycosyltransferase screen and its application in directed evolution”. Nat Protocols, 2008, 3, 357-362.
7. Williams GJ, Zhang C, Thorson JS. “Expanding the promiscuity of a natural product glycosyltransferase by directed evolution”. Nat Chem Biol, 2007, 3, 657-662.
6. Williams GJ, Woodall T, Farnsworth LM, Nelson A, Berry A. “Creation of a pair of stereochemically complementary biocatalysts”. J Am Chem Soc, 2006, 128, 16238-47.
5. Williams GJ, Woodhall T, Nelson A, Berry A. “Structure-guided saturation mutagenesis of N-acetylneuraminic acid lyase for the synthesis of sialic acid mimetics”. PEDS 2005; 18: 239-246.
4. Woodhall T, Williams GJ, Berry A, Nelson A. “Synthesis of screening substrates for the directed evolution of sialic acid aldolase: Towards tailored enzymes for the preparation of influenza A inhibitor analogues”. Org Biomol Chem, 2005; 3: 1795-1800.
3. Woodhall T, Williams GJ, Berry A, Nelson A. “Creation of a tailored aldolase for the parallel synthesis of sialic acid mimetics”. Angew Chemie Int Ed, 2005; 44: 2109-2112.
2. Williams GJ, Nelson A, Berry A. “Directed evolution of enzymes for biocatalysis and the life sciences”. Cell Mol Life Sci, 2004; 61: 3034-3046.
1. Williams GJ, Doman S, Nelson A, Berry A. “Modifying the stereochemical course of an enzyme catalysed reaction by directed evolution”. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2003, 100, 3143-3148.